There are four cockroaches commonly found in the Charleston, Summerville, Mt. Pleasant and surrounding areas of South Carolina:
- American Cockroach (Periplaneta americana)
- Asian Cockroach (Blattella asahinai)
- German Cockroach (Blattella germanica)
- Smokeybrown Cockroach (Periplaneta fuliginosa)
And depending on the type of roach, the proper treatment for extermination can vary. This is why it is important to rely on a local, reputable pest control company to help identify and provide a custom extermination treatment plan for your home or business.
While controlling roaches from in and around your home can be a difficult task without the assistance of a professional pest control company, there are steps that you can take to help eliminate the possibility of roaches entering your home.
9 Tips for Preventing Cockroaches Outside Your Home
- Don’t leave pet bowls out overnight.
- Keep any kennel areas clean of leftover food, waste, etc.
- Remove any garbage and place in sealed bags with covered garbage containers.
- Make sure to rinse any recycled bottles, cans or food containers.
- Seal any cracks, crevices, crawl spaces and large openings around drainage and sewer lines.
- Do not store firewood next to the home.
- Remove in mulch or debris from around the foundation of the home.
- Maintain and repair any screens, weather stripping, and attic and foundation vents.
- Check all boxes bags for any cockroaches prior to entering the home.
8 Tips for Preventing Cockroaches Inside Your Home
- Good sanitation is the best way to prevent cockroaches.
- Store all food and garbage in sealed containers.
- Check for any moist areas around interior plumbing and repair if necessary.
- Vacuum frequently. Vacuuming on a regular schedule can remove any left-over food particles, crumbs and roach feces, body parts and egg sacs. These additional roach parts contain pheromones that can attract other roaches.
- Remove any stashes of cardboard, newspapers, bags, clothes or rags.
- Wash dishes daily.
- Don’t leave food out overnight.
- Clean behind stove, dishwashers, refrigerators, microwaves and other appliances
If you suspect a roach problem, contact Barrier Pest Services today to schedule a thorough evaluation. We can visit your home, determine the type of cockroach and develop a specialized cockroach treatment plan to rid your home of roaches.