Did you know that cockroaches can cause health and safety risks, including allergies and asthma?
There are four cockroaches commonly found in the Charleston, Summerville, Mt. Pleasant and surrounding areas of South Carolina:
- American Cockroach (Periplaneta americana)
- Asian Cockroach (Blattella asahinai)
- German Cockroach (Blattella germanica)
- Smokeybrown Cockroach (Periplaneta fuliginosa)
And depending on the type of roach, the proper treatment for extermination can vary. This is why it is important to rely on a local, reputable pest control company to help identify and provide a custom extermination treatment plan for your home or business.
While controlling roaches from in and around your home can be a difficult task without the assistance of a professional pest control company, there are steps that you can take to help eliminate the possibility of roaches entering your home.
9 Tips for Preventing Cockroaches Outside Your Home
- Don’t leave pet bowls out overnight.
- Keep any kennel areas clean of leftover food, waste, etc.
- Remove any garbage and place in sealed bags with covered garbage containers.
- Make sure to rinse any recycled bottles, cans or food containers.
- Seal any cracks, crevices, crawl spaces and large openings around drainage and sewer lines.
- Do not store firewood next to the home.
- Remove in mulch or debris from around the foundation of the home.
- Maintain and repair any screens, weather stripping, and attic and foundation vents.
- Check all boxes bags for any cockroaches prior to entering the home.
8 Tips for Preventing Cockroaches Inside Your Home
- Good sanitation is the best way to prevent cockroaches.
- Store all food and garbage in sealed containers.
- Check for any moist areas around interior plumbing and repair if necessary.
- Vacuum frequently. Vacuuming on a regular schedule can remove any left-over food particles, crumbs and roach feces, body parts and egg sacs. These additional roach parts contain pheromones that can attract other roaches.
- Remove any stashes of cardboard, newspapers, bags, clothes or rags.
- Wash dishes daily.
- Don’t leave food out overnight.
- Clean behind stove, dishwashers, refrigerators, microwaves and other appliances
If you suspect a roach problem, contact Barrier Pest Services today to schedule a thorough evaluation. We can visit your home, determine the type of cockroach and develop a specialized cockroach treatment plan to rid your home of roaches.